Saturday, December 20, 2014

Mission Meals

Comfort Food Rocks.

Being the Suzy Homemaker that you all know me to be (frilly apron and all), I do a fair amount of cooking.  I always have.  Even in college I never ate out of a box. There was always a crockpot of "conglomeration stew" going in that scummy little basement (I won't say apartment) that I lived in. This time of year one of the easiest and honestly best meals is what my Grandpa used to call "mission meals" and my kids used to call "homemade hamburger helper."  With the kids gone, I have difficulty figuring out the two person ratio for doing what I have been doing for four for many years, so generally, a good mission meal lasts for about three days.

These mission meals, while easy, are also very much hearty comfort food.  My favorite?  Dice and fry potatoes in butter and layer in the bottom of a casserole dish.  Brown hamburger with some cumin, salt, pepper and finely diced onion and then add a can of cream of chicken soup, some cottage cheese, some sour cream.  Simmer for a while and then pour the mixture on top of the potatoes.  Add a layer of cheddar cheese and then bake for 45 minutes at 350 deg.........measurements?  Baahh!

Enjoy the flavor and feel of your arteries hardening as the north wind blows against the windows.

Saturday with a couple of loads of wood to bring home and that is what I am making for supper.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a cross between a shepherd 's pie and a 7 layer dip. Last weekend I made about 10 pounds of my famous chicken cutlets and my daughter has been baking cookies for days. This time of year, I eat a small fraction of what I make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. picturing you now with a spatula in one hand a wooden spoon in the other and a frilly apron........

      Delete
  2. In the spirit of streamlined delivery and not bothering to get up for another dish, I suggest you dump the cake mix on top of the prison-kitchen gruel meal you have planned and simply eat it in layers working down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When are you inviting me over for a meal??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was teasing Sonnet with my home made mac and cheese earlier....

      Delete